Resources on Disparities, Anti-Racism & Anti-Oppression
Resources on Healthcare Disparities and Undoing Racism and Oppression in Healthcare and the Delivery of Healthcare
- Transcript (PDF) from “When the Bough Breaks” a film segment that examines the mystery of the Black-white infant mortality gap from the film series “Unnatural Causes: Is Inequality Making Us Sick?
- Dr. Camara Jones describes three kinds of racism
- "Undoing Racism in Public Health: A Blueprint for Action in Urban Maternal and Child Health" (PDF)
- "Maternal Nutrition and Infant Mortality in the Context of Relationality" (PDF)
- "Race, Stress, and Social Support: Addressing the Crisis in Black Infant Mortality" (PDF) (Note: the Joint Center is a funder of this series)
- Podcast on Racial Disparity in Birth Outcomes
- Segment excerpt from "When the Bough Breaks" - Kim Anderson’s story
- Segment excerpt from "When the Bough Breaks": Unraveling the mystery of Black-white differences in infant mortality
- Video Clips and Information about the Series: Un-Natural Causes...Is Inequality Making Us Sick?
- Links to several videos compiled by creators of the website for Race: The Power of an Illusion
Resources on LGBT Healthcare Concerns and Disparities
- Lesbian Health and Research Center Webpage for the Healthcare Community
- The Institute of Medicine's first ever LGBT Health Report (PDF)
- Removing the Barriers: Training programs designed to educate and bring awareness to health care providers about lesbian, bisexual and transgender (LBT) health care needs.
- LGBT Caregiver Fact Sheet for Providers (PDF)
- Sexually Transmitted Infections in Women who have Sex with Women: A Fact Sheet for Healthcare Providers (PDF)
- Health Resources compiled by the Mautner Project
- LBT Health Information
- Transgender Health Fact Sheet (PDF)
For a wealth of additional information related to this topic, visit the following RESOURCES PAGE, which is divided into the following topics:
- Racism 101
- White Privilege 101
- Impact of Racism & Oppression on Birth Outcomes
- Racism in Midwifery
- Multicultural Midwifery History
- Intersections of Race, Gender, Class
- For Activists
- For Clinicians
- –> LGBT Healthcare
- For Educators
- How to Be an Ally
- Talking With Children
For the edition of the "Giving Birth to Midwives" Newsletter devoted to issues of equity and inclusivity in the midwifery profession, read the October 2012 AME (Association of Midwifery Educators) Newsletter
We have just begun compiling these resources for your reference. This is by no means an exhaustive list, but it's a start. Please email additional resources you would like to see included on this page to email@example.com.
Cochrane Reviews related to Pregnancy and Childbirth
Cochrane Reviews are systematic reviews of primary research in human health care and health policy, and are internationally recognised as the highest standard in evidence-based health care.